The easiest way to get transactions into Wave is to connect your bank account for automated updates. Sometimes, however, this may not be possible. You may prefer not to connect your bank or you may want to load Wave with older transactions than your Bank is providing via the direct connection. In these cases, you may have downloaded a .CSV file to import into Wave.
Wait! Does your bank offer you the option to export your data in Microsoft Money (.OFX), Quickbooks (.QBO), Quicken (.QFX) or Simply Accounting (.ASO) format? All those formats are easier to import into Wave than a .CSV file; go back to your bank and re-export in one of these formats, then follow the steps in this alternative article.
Your bank only offers .CSV exports? OK, buckle up! Let's get you importing your .CSV file into Wave! Click here to download our CSV template.
Are you uploading a statement into a bank or credit card account that already exists in your account? If so, just follow the instructions below. If not, you need to do a quick setup step first.
- Go to your online banking site and download a statement to your computer.
- Click on Accounting on the left side of your screen and select Transactions. Locate the button to upload your bank statement.
- Under Statement, click Choose File and locate the statement you downloaded from your bank to your computer.
- In the Payment Account menu, select the account you want your transactions to go into.
- Now click Upload.
Note: If there are no currency codes in the statement, Wave will record all of the transactions in the currency of the account you are uploading your statement in to.
- You will be taken to the CSV import page where you will be asked a series of questions to ensure the data in your bank statement is accurately imported into Wave. On the Select date page, choose the column with the date Wave should assign to each transaction.
- On the Select amounts page, you'll be asked to choose the column with the amounts you either paid into or charged to your account.
- On the Select description page, choose the column with the best description for your transactions.
- On the Confirm import page, make sure columns are highlighted correctly. If you need to change the date, amount or description columns that are highlighted, you can click on any the Select date, Select amount or Select description headers to make your changes.
This article has been shortened and formatted to display in a small window. Read the full article in our Help Center.