If you do business with the same customer, it is handy to have their credit card information on file. Here's how to save credit cards when you use Payments by Wave.
There are three ways you can save your customers' credit card information: right from the customer list or when adding a payment to an invoice.
Save a credit card from the customer list
- Select Sales and click Customers. Once you have created a customer, click the edit pen beside the customer. On the edit page, select the Payment Methods tab.
- Enter the credit card information of your customer. Click 'Save Payment Method', and if the details are correct, it will automatically save. That's it! Your customer's credit card information will be saved for the next time you wish to add a payment to one of their invoices.
Note: You cannot edit a saved credit card, only delete.
- If you want to delete the credit card, click the trash can icon beside the name.
On the go: Save a credit card payment while accepting a credit card payment.
If you are adding a payment to an invoice with a customer's credit card, you can also save that customer's credit card details for next time. This won't disrupt you making the actual credit card payment!
- On the Invoices tab, select the invoice you want to add a payment to. Click Record a payment. The option to choose a payment method will pop up. Click Charge a credit card.
- Enter your customer's credit card information. Then, click the check box beside Store this credit card to use later for this customer. That's it! Your customer's credit card information will be stored for that customer. If you want to delete this stored credit card, refer to Step 3 above.
Your customer can save their own information
When you create a Recurring Invoice, you will be required to use Manual Payments if you do not have saved credit card information for your customer. However, when your customer pays the invoice, they can choose to save their credit card details for future billing, allowing you both to take advantage of the benefits of Automatic Payments.
Recurring invoices with enabled Automatic Payments allow for reliable, consistent billing of your repeat customers.
Is it secure for my customer?
Yes. Payments by Wave is a PCI Level 1 Service Provider. See our Payments Terms of Service for more information.
What is PCI?
The Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) is a set of requirements designed to ensure that all companies that process, store or transmit credit card information maintain a secure environment. The (PCI) Data Security Standards represents a common set of industry tools and measurements to help ensure the safe handling of sensitive information. Merchants are responsible for the security of cardholder data and must be careful not to store certain types of data on their systems and ensure their third party service providers meet these PCI requirements.