When it comes to paying payroll taxes, it's important to stay up to date and informed. Below is a list of instructions for how you can enroll in the Electronic Federal Tax Paying System (EFTPS), which will allow you to pay taxes online or by phone.
Step 1: Enroll online at www.eftps.gov.
To get started, you will need the following:
- Employer Identification Number
- Banking account number and routing number
- Address and name as they appear on your IRS tax documents
Once you're enrolled, follow these instructions:
- Click "Enrollment."
- Select "Business."
- Enter the requested information.
- Submit. In seven business days, you will receive a PIN in the mail that allows you to log in to your EFTPS account.
Step 2: Get your password
When you receive your PIN, call 1.800.982.3526 to get a temporary Internet password. The first time you log in to your EFTPS account, you'll be prompted to update the temporary password to a permanent password of your choice.
Step 3: Make a payment
- Go to www.eftps.gov and select "Make a Payment."
- Log in with your EIN, PIN, and Internet password.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to enter your payment information.
- When you're finished, save a copy of the Payment Confirmation page. This contains your EFT Acknowledgment Number, which acts as a receipt for your payment instruction.
The deadline for making tax payments through EFTPS is 8:00 p.m. EST, one calendar day in advance of the payment due date.