If your bank account is connected to Wave for importing transactions, and there are duplicate transactions on your Transactions page, this can be due to two reasons:
- The bank account was disconnected and then reconnected, but the transaction import date was either set to As far back as possible or an incorrect date was selected.
If you have duplicate bank connections on your Connected Accounts page, take a look at the article Fix duplicate bank connections.
- In rare situations, your bank may change the transaction ID (an identifier your bank uses). While the date, amount, and description of your transaction remain unchanged, a change to the transaction ID can result in the same transaction(s) importing multiple times.
If this happens frequently with an account, you can choose to turn off imports under Banking > Connected Accounts by clicking the toggle for the specific account. Learn how to upload statements or use Wave Connect to import transactions into Wave.
When you import transactions into Wave (through a bank connection, statement upload, or Wave Connect), and also manually record payments on invoices and bills, or upload a receipt, you will see duplicate transactions. Wave detects these duplicate transactions and automatically merges them. Learn more about Automated bookkeeping with auto-updates.
If the duplicates were not due to manually recording payments on invoices and bills, or uploading receipts, you have to manually merge or delete them. This is because once the duplicates are in your account, Wave cannot remove them.
To remove the duplicate transactions, you can either merge transactions or bulk delete the duplicates. To merge transactions:
- Log in to your Wave account at waveapps.com.
- On the left-side menu, select Accounting > Transactions.
- Select the checkboxes to the left of a pair of duplicate transactions.
- Click the merge icon at the top of the transactions list.
- Repeat this for all duplicate transactions.
Alternatively, you can also delete the duplicates. To delete, select the checkboxes next to all of the transactions you want to remove, and then click the delete icon at the top of the page.
If you use Wave’s online payments feature you will see three transactions for each invoice payment, but they are not duplicates. Understand how the bookkeeping works in Automated bookkeeping with Wave Payments.