- Log in to your Wave account at waveapps.com.
- On the left side menu, click Payroll > Run Payroll.
- Click Payroll Setup.
- Under the Business section, to the right of Pay schedule, select Set schedule if this is your first time using payroll in Wave.
If you’re returning, select Edit Schedule.
- Select your preferred payroll frequency:
- Every week
- Every other week
Once you set the start date as a specific day of the week for your weekly or biweekly period, you won’t be able to adjust it. The pay period will always start and end on the same days of the week.
- Twice a month
The two payroll periods are set to run from the 1st of the month till the 15th, and the 16th until the last day of the month. You cannot adjust this.
- Once a month
This payroll period is set to run from the 1st of the month till the last day of the month. You cannot adjust this.
Ensure your preferred payroll frequency is compliant with your local employment standards.
- Optionally, you can adjust the default payday to occur a set number of days after the payroll period ends.
If you plan to use direct deposit, payrolls must be approved at least 3 business days before your payday. Learn more in Paying your employees on time.
Wave will show an example of what your payroll schedule will look like on your Run Payroll page.
- Click Save and continue to confirm the pay schedule.
You can’t change your payroll frequency and/or start day yourself once your first payroll is run. If you need to change the frequency after this, open Mave, Wave’s automated chatbot, and type payroll frequency help, then select I need help changing my payroll frequency. Mave will help collect any relevant details and direct you to the appropriate support. Learn how to open Mave in Get support with Wave.
For information on continuing to set up your payroll account, see Set up payroll.
To learn about the Run Payroll section, visit the overview of the Run Payroll page.