You can use checkouts to collect recurring payments from your customers. Use recurring payments for things like a subscription or membership fees.
When your customer completes the first checkout payment, Wave automatically creates a recurring invoice using the details you selected for the checkout and the customer’s saved card details.
Customers can only use a credit card or Visa debit card to pay for checkouts with recurring payments on, and the following recurring invoices.
Set up a checkout to create recurring invoices
To create checkouts you need to set up Wave’s online payments feature first. Learn how in Set up Wave Payments.
- On the left-side menu click Sales & Payments > Checkouts.
- Click Create a checkout.
- Click Add a product or service and select an item from the drop-down menu or click Create a new item.
Creating a new item also adds it to your list of products and services.
- You can edit the item’s description, price, and taxes at this stage.
- If you want to change the income account, click Edit the income account. This ensures the sales from the product or service are tracked correctly on your reports.
If you added the wrong item, click the trash can icon to remove it.
- If you want to collect your customer’s phone number and/or address when they make a payment, check the boxes next to Request phone number and/or Request address.
- To allow your customers to purchase more than one of the item, check the box next to Allow multiple purchases. If you have checked this box, your customer will see an option to adjust the quantity when they make a payment.
Multiple purchases of the same item will be processed through the same checkout and recurring invoice.
- To allow this checkout to take recurring payments by creating a recurring invoice, toggle Add recurring payment to ON.
- Select when you want the recurring payments to end from the drop-down menu. You can select never ends, or enter the number of remaining payments.
The number you enter should be one less than the total number of payments your customer will make, as the first payment is taken when your customer completes the checkout payment.
- Select a payment frequency from the next drop-down menu.
- Click Save and turn on at the top.
Share your checkout
Once saved, you’ll see a unique link to the checkout that you can share with your customers or add to your website. You can also create a QR code for your checkout. You can share this with customers on the go using your phone, use it instead of a link on your website, add it to business cards, or anywhere else you want to direct customers to your checkout.
To create a QR code for your checkout, click Download QR Code. When your customer scans the QR code or clicks the link to your checkout, it takes them to a page where they can enter their credit card information.
On this page, they see how much they will be charged today and the future payment schedule. After successful payment customers will receive a receipt and see the next payment date.