Follow these steps to add your employees' details. This includes their contact information, salary, vacation time, and tax allowances. This helps Wave accurately calculate your payroll cost.
Add an employee
- Select Payroll, then Employees in the left-hand navigation menu.
- Select Add an employee near the top right of the screen.
- Complete all required fields, which are shown by an *.
Ensure that the address you enter is correct, as this affects tax withholding for the employee.
- Click Save Employee.
To add more employee details straight away, click add more details about this employee. If you have added the employee’s email address, you will see an Invite to Wave button at the top right. Clicking this sends an email to your employee, inviting them to create a Wave account, where they can view their pay stubs, update their contact information as required, and view the status of their direct deposit. Learn more in How to invite an employee.
This does not grant your employee access to your payroll account. If you would like to grant someone access to your payroll account, add them as a Payroll Manager.
Edit employee details
- Click Payroll, then Employees in the left-hand navigation menu.
- On the Employees screen, click the Edit button next to your employee's name, under the Actions header. Alternatively, click on the employee’s name.
- Once you've selected an employee's profile, you can edit information by selecting from the following menu options:
- Personal Information – Edit an employee's contact information. The employee's address is a factor in tax calculations, so make sure you enter it correctly, and update it as needed.
- Compensation – Manage an employee's salary details. You can also schedule changes to happen on a future date.
- Vacation – Manage an employee's vacation, yearly vacation allowance, and control whether vacation pay is paid out on each payroll, or banked. You can also schedule changes to happen on a future date.
- Holiday - View and edit your statutory holiday policy for an employee, and view your past policies.
- Sick Leave - View your sick leave policy for an employee. If you have yet to set one up, you can start a basic policy by clicking the Opt In button.
- Tax Details – Edit an employee's tax details, like exemptions, filing status, and tax codes.
- Benefits & Deductions – Add a bonus or commission, withhold an amount for expenses such as room and board, and set the amount and how often that benefit or deduction will take place. For further details see How to assign a deduction or benefit to an employee.
- Employee Files – Upload any relevant files, like their resume.
- Direct deposit – Select if you want to pay this employee by direct deposit or not.
- Bank Details - If you would like this employee to receive their pay by direct deposit, enter their banking information.
- Employment Status – If you terminate and/or rehire an employee, you can view all hire and termination dates here.
Once you've added your employee details, you're ready to Complete your Tax Profile.