When setting up your payroll, we suggest adding employees first, because without employee details we are unable to accurately calculate your payroll costs.
Follow these steps to add your employees' details. This includes their contact information, salary, vacation time, direct deposit bank account, any benefits or deductions, as well as tax allowances.
This article applies to Payroll by Wave in the U.S. Were you looking for Canada?
Add an Employee
- Click the Payroll, then Employees tab in the left-hand navigation menu. In the Employees tab, select Add an employee near the top right of the screen.
- Complete all required fields, denoted by an *. Please ensure that the address you enter is correct, as this affects tax withholding for the employee.
Edit Employee Details
- Click the Payroll, then Employees tab in the left-hand navigation menu. Once you open up the Employees screen, click on the pen icon next to your employee's name.
- Once you are viewing the desired employee's profile you can edit information by navigating the following tabs at the left of the screen:
- Personal Information – Edit an employee's contact information. As mentioned previously, the employee's address plays a factor in tax calculations, so ensure it is entered correctly.
- Salary – Allows you to manage your employee's salary details. You can also schedule changes to happen on a future date.
- Vacation – Allows you to manage your employee's vacation yearly vacation allowance and whether to pay it out with every payroll or bank it. You can also schedule changes to happen on a future date.
- Tax Details – Edit the employee's tax details – exemptions, filing status, and tax codes. This information can all be found on the Form W4 and state equivalent your employee would have completed upon being hired.
- Benefits & Deductions – Add a bonus or commission, withhold an amount for expenses such as room and board, set the amount and how often that benefit/deduction will take place. For further details see the FAQ on How to assign a deduction or benefit to an employee.
- Employee Files – Upload any relevant file from your computer, a resume for example.
- Direct deposit – Fill in banking information to allow your employee to receive their pay by direct deposit into the appropriate bank account.
- Employment History – If you ever terminate and rehire an employee you can view all dates of hire and termination here.
- You may have noticed the Invite to Wave button at top right if you have entered your employee's email address.This will send an email to your employee inviting them to create a Wave account. Here, they are able to view their pay stubs, update their contact information as required, and view the status of their direct deposit. See more on How to invite an employee.
Please note that this does not in any way grant you employee access to your payroll account. If you would like to grant someone access to your payroll account you will need to invite them to collaborate on the account.
Once you've added employee details, you're ready for Step 2: Completing your Tax Profile.