Follow the steps below to add an employee to Wave's Payroll
- Select Payroll, then Employees in the left-hand navigation menu
- Select Add an Employee
- Enter the employee's First name, Last name, Home Address, and Email. Entering the employee's email invites your employee to use Wave, which lets them update their personal information, update their direct deposit information, and view and download pay stubs and tax forms. Learn more
- To invite your employee to complete their onboarding, mark the box “Invite employee to onboard and enter their information”. This allows the employee to fill in date of birth and direct deposit information instead of you.
- Enter your employee's Salary and Salary type (hourly or annual)
- Click Save employee to finish
- Add your employee’s Work Information
- Note: If you will pay employees by direct deposit, be sure to mark “Yes”.
- Click Save
If you provided an employee email, your employee will receive an email invitation when you click Save. Your employee can open the email and click the link and they will be able to set up their personal Wave account, then either complete onboarding or view and update their personal information as necessary.
A remote worker is an employee who works from a location different than your business address. Wave Payroll supports remote workers who work from their home address. Complete the following steps to set up your employee as a remote worker.
- Click the pen icon to Edit the employee who works remotely.
- In the work location field select Employee always works from home.
If your employee starts working remotely part way through the year, or vice versa, you will need to update the remote worker field. Please ensure you make this change prior to approving the first payroll with the new work location.
Now you're ready to prepare your employee's time sheet, set up their direct deposit and (once all your employees have been added) run payroll.
Please note that if the employee's date of hire is before your last approved payroll, their retroactive pay won't be automatically added onto the next period. This will have to be done manually, using the add to pay feature.
To avoid this scenario, please ensure you are adding employees as soon as they are hired so that they can be included in the pay period during which their employment began.