Rather than signing in to Wave using a combination of an email address and password, you may choose to use your existing Google Account or Yahoo! ID to log into Wave. (This is part of a process called OpenID.) Some people like this option because once you've logged into Google or Yahoo for the day, you can open up connected applications like Wave without fumbling for passwords.
CAUTION: If you close your Google/Yahoo OpenID email address, you will be PERMANENTLY locked out of your Wave account.
Here's how you can use your Google Account or Yahoo! ID to log into Wave:
If you do not have a Wave account yet:
- Go to the Wave sign-up page. Select either Google or Yahoo! to sign in with.
- You’ll be taken to Google or Yahoo!, whichever you select. If you're not logged into Google or Yahoo! at the time, you'll be prompted to do so. Once you're logged in, you'll be asked if you want to use your Google/Yahoo credentials for Wave. Note that Wave will be described as "my.waveapps.com." This is the correct URL for the Wave application.
- Confirm; you'll now be taken through the steps of creating your Wave account from the beginning.
If you already have a Wave account:
Here's how you connect an existing Wave account with your Google Account or Yahoo! ID:
- Click on your business name in the top left corner of your screen. Click Manage your profile in the drop-down menu.
- Click Emails & Connected Accounts on the left.
- Scroll down and click on Link a Google account or Link a Yahoo! ID.
- You'll be taken to Google or Yahoo's sign in pages where you can connect with Wave apps.
- From now on, when you log into Wave, instead of manually entering an email and password, click the Google or Yahoo icon instead and follow the prompts.
Important note: When you switch from a conventional login (email and password) to a Google Account or Yahoo! ID login, you will no longer be able to log in using the email and password you originally used. Those login credentials will be deactivated, and you must always log into Wave using the Google/Yahoo! credentials you've chosen.
What access does Wave have to your Google of Yahoo! information?
If you choose to use Google or Yahoo! to sign in, the only permission you're granting Wave is knowledge of your email address. Wave will not access any other information connected with your Google/Yahoo! account. We will be offering deeper integration between Wave and Google/Yahoo! in the future, but those permissions will be handled separately from your login.