It all starts with a simple login and a free account. You won’t need to provide a credit card, and you’re under no commitment, so let’s jump right in.
How to sign up/log in
You can sign up and log into Wave using a combination of email/password, or using Google or Yahoo login credentials.
Provide your email address, and a password that’s easy for you to remember but hard for someone else to guess. The email address is the primary means that we use to identify you and give you access to your account, so make sure there are no typos!
If you already have a Google account (like Gmail) or a Yahoo account, you can also use those credentials to create and access your Wave account. That means one less password for to remember.
Click the option you prefer, and Google/Yahoo will prompt you to log into their services. You’ll be asked to agree to let Wave know your identity. Accept and your Wave account will be created instantly.
You can read the Terms at https://my.waveapps.com/terms/
How to set up your business
We ask you some simple questions so that we can customize your account.
- Company name: This will appear at the top of the page when you’re logged into Wave, as well as on your reports and invoices. Don’t sweat it. It doesn’t matter if this is your legal entity name (“8675309 Inc.”) or how you introduce your business on Facebook (“Home Renos 4 U”). Use something that makes sense to you.
- Business type: Are you a farmer, a consultant, or a web designer? By telling Wave what kind of business you do, we can pick the right settings for you. For example, if you’re a farmer, you’ll get a “Fertilizer” category for your expenses, and if you’re a web designer, you won’t! If you don’t see a business type that matches yours exactly, pick the closest thing, or choose “Other.” Close enough is good enough.
- Currency: Pick the currency you want to use for your accounting. You’ll still be able to issue invoices in other currencies, or track expenses in different currencies. If you want to Edit, you’ll see 2 options: Business currency is for your business transactions, and Personal currency is (you guessed it) for your Personal finances.
- Money saving deals: Once or twice a week, Wave sends email offers from partners that provide services or products for small businesses. Check the box if you want to get these emails. (Give it a try — you can unsubscribe at any time.)
- Address: Enter the business address you’ll want to show on invoices or reports.
That’s it! Click Get Started and you’re good to go!
If you get off on the wrong foot, don’t fret. You can get a fresh start without closing your Wave account. Just archive your existing business, and then re-create your business to start again with a clean slate. Here’s how.
- Click on the Account tab in the top right corner, and then click Your Profile.
- Click Businesses, then click on the pencil icon next to your business name. This will let you edit your business’s information.
- At the bottom of the page, there’s a button labelled Archive [Your Business Name]. Click it, and confirm by clicking Yes, archive this business. Your business is now archived, and won’t appear in your Wave account any more.
- To create your new business, click Businesses again, and then click on the Create a Business button. Enter information about your business (see section 1.2). Click the Save button and you’re done!