When it comes to payroll tax payments, it's important to stay up to date and informed. Learn how to enroll with the IRS' Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS), so you can review and pay federal taxes online or by phone.
Step 1: Enroll online
To get started, go to https://www.eftps.gov/eftps/ and have the following business information ready:
- Employer Identification Number
- Banking account number and routing number
- Address and name as they appear on your IRS tax documents
Once enrolled, take the following steps:
- Click Enrolment > Select Business
- Enter the requested information > Click Submit.
- In seven business days, you will receive a PIN in the mail that allows you to log in to your EFTPS account.
Step 2: Get your password
When you receive your PIN, call 1.800.982.3526 to get a temporary Internet password. The first time you log in to your EFTPS account, you'll be prompted to update the temporary password to a permanent password of your choice.
Step 3: Make a payment
- Go to https://www.eftps.gov/eftps/ > Select Make a Payment.
- Log in with your EIN, PIN, and Internet password
- Follow the on-screen prompts to enter your payment information
- When you're finished, save a copy of the Payment Confirmation page. This contains your EFT Acknowledgment Number, which acts as a receipt for your payment instruction
The deadline for making tax payments through EFTPS is 8:00 p.m. EST, one calendar day before the payment due date.