Use the Form W-4 your employee completed to enter their federal tax details.
- Click Payroll > Employees in the left-hand navigation menu.
- Click on the name of the employee.
- Once the employee page loads, click on Tax Details.
- Fill in each field that requires an amount. If there is a field in which you have no amount to enter, enter "0".
- You can also mark your employee as exempt from federal income tax, Social Security, Medicare, and/or state income tax on the same page. Please note that additional income tax to be withheld for either federal or state is the amount per pay period.
- When you are finished editing the employee’s tax profile, make sure you click Save.
Any changes to an employee tax profile will be reflected on the next pay period.
We have more information on the new federal withholding certificate for 2020 Form W-4 here.