At a glance
- Important Dates
- How to generate and download T4s
- E-file transmitter info
- How to correct T4 slips
- How to file T4s
- Frequently Asked Questions about T4s
|Monday, February 1, 2021||2020 T4 slips are available to generate in Wave|
|Monday, March 1, 2021||Deadline to file T4 slips with CRA.
Read more about this deadline here
|Sunday, February 28, 2021||Deadline to distribute T4 slips to employees|
How to generate and download T4s
- Under Payroll > Click Tax Forms
- If your T4s are ready > Under Actions > Click Generate
- The employer summary will open on the following page for your review. For help selecting and entering your e-file transmitter info, head here
- If information is missing, you will see a notification to "Fix Missing". Complete the required fields in order to move on
- Click Generate T4s & T4 Summary
You must have an active or limited access payroll subscription to generate T4 slips in Wave. To reactivate, go to Settings > Billing. Wave does not file T4s with CRA. Guidance for e-filing with CRA is provided below.
E-file transmitter info
The "E-File Transmitter Info" (full name and address details) should be that of the person filing the T4. The "Contact Information" (full name and phone number) will appear on your T4 Summary and should be for the person who can answer questions about the return if CRA needs to get in touch.
|I am a service provider submitting returns for others||If you are an accountant using Wave to produce and submit T4 slips on behalf of a client|
I am submitting my return
If you are the business owner producing T4 slips for your business
How to correct T4 slips
If you become aware of an error with a T4 before they are filed with CRA, click Discard current form and start over before correcting the employee detail and generating the forms again using these steps.
You can correct employee names, addresses, and SINs directly in your Wave account. Here's how:
- Under Payroll > click Employees
- Select the Employee
- Click Personal information
If you're missing a benefit and cannot add it to a future payroll in Wave, please contact our Support Team as soon as possible. Please include the employee name and the benefit or deduction name, amount and quarter it was enjoyed in.
How to file T4s
Once the T4 slips and summary have been generated in Wave, the following page will provide you wit a short to-do list, in order to complete your T4 filings.
- Download the T4s as outlined and distribute to your employees.
- Download the XML file for internet file transfer and upload the file to the CRA website as outlined here.
Wave provides you with the T4 slips for distribution to employees, as well as an XML internet transfer file so you can file online with CRA. Wave does not file T4 information with CRA.
Frequently Asked Questions about T4s
Where is the T4 summary in my XML file?
A T4 summary is not required with internet file transfer as CRA performs the reconciliation automatically.
When should T4 slips be distributed to employees?
You must give your employees their T4 slips for the previous year by the last day of February. For example, you must give employees their T4s by February 28, 2021 for any time they worked for you in 2020.