Wave makes it easy to let other people help with your accounting. You can grant access to a trusted individual, an accountant, bookkeeper, tax preparer or business partner for example, by inviting that person to be a user.
If you'd like to add a user to help you run payroll, but restrict them from accessing the rest of your Wave account, add them as a Payroll Manager.
You add a user separately for each business.
- A user on your business profile will not see your personal profile.
- A user on personal profile will not see your business profile.
- If you want someone to have access to both personal and business, you must grant them access twice (once for each profile).
- Multiple businesses in Wave are controlled separately. If you'd like someone (an accountant, for example) to have access to more than one business, you will need to invite them separately for each business.
How to add a user to your business profile:
Remember, you are granting access to sensitive information, including a history of all your bank and credit card transactions. However, your online banking passwords will not be available to the user, since this is saved separately from your accounting information.
- Click Settings at the bottom of the left hand navigation menu.
- Click on Users under User Management.
- Click the panel of the user role to invite a Viewer, Editor, Admin, Payroll Manager, or Block Advisors Tax Pro.
Tax Pros are currently available for US businesses only. To learn more about who Tax Pros are, and what they do, take a look at this help centre article.
If you already have a user collaborating on your business, click Invite User in the top right corner.
- Add their first name, last name, email address and position within your business.
- If you’re adding an Editor, optionally toggle the user’s access to Send invoices and Manage payroll to ON. If you’re adding a Viewer, you may choose to toggle Manage payroll to ON.
- Click Invite User.
On the User Management page, you will now see the pending invitations. The user will receive an email, inviting them to join your business in Wave. If you need to resend an invitation, head to Settings > Users, click Edit next to the user’s name, then select Resend Invite.
If the user does not have a Wave account, they should click Join your business name in the email, and enter their email address and a password to create a Wave account.
Wave will automatically select a personal currency based on the user’s location when their new account is created, because they will also have a personal profile. The currency can only be changed at this stage of account creation, and as Wave is only available to businesses located in Canada and the US, the options available to choose from are USD and CAD.
If the user already has a Wave account, they should click Add your business name.
How to edit or cancel user access
If you would like to terminate your user's access, go to Settings > Users, and click Edit beside the user's name, then click on the trash can icon. You will be asked to confirm the deletion of this user.
To edit user access, click Edit next to their name. Change their user type under the Role heading by selecting the button next to the type of access you'd like to change them to, then clicking Update Info.