Wave makes it easy to let other people help with your accounting. You can grant access to a trusted individual — an accountant, bookkeeper, tax preparer or business partner, for example — by inviting that person to be a collaborator.
This article is about how to add a business collaborator to work on your accounting profiles. If you are looking for payroll, see: How to invite a collaborator for payroll.
You add a collaborator separately for each business.
- A collaborator on your business will not see your personal finances
- A collaborator on personal finances will not see your business finances
- If you want someone to collaborate on BOTH personal and business, you must grant them access twice (once for each profile)
- If you run multiple businesses in Wave, each one is controlled separately. If you'd like someone (an accountant, for example) to have access to more than one business, you will need to invite them separately for each business.
Here's how to add a collaborator to your business finances:
- Click Settings at the bottom of the lefthand navigation menu.
- Click on Collaborators under User Management.
Click the Add a collaborator button on the top right.
Add their first name, last name, and email address.
Choose how much access you want to give your collaborator.
- View and edit: If you want your collaborator to be able to add, delete, and change information. They will have access to your entire account (transactions, invoices, reports, etc.) They will not have access to your banking information, integrations, credit card payments feature, business data export function, and business information.
- View, edit, and send: The same permissions as view and edit collaborators, and can send invoices from the owner's email address. They will not have access to your banking information, integrations, credit card payments feature, business data export function, and business information.
- View only: Your collaborator will only be able to see your information, and will not have the ability to edit. They will have access to all pages in your Wave account except your banking information, integrations, credit card payments feature, business data export function, and business information.
Note: Remember, you are granting access to sensitive information, including a history of all your bank and credit card transactions. However, your online banking passwords will NOT be available to the collaborator, since this is saved separately from your accounting information.
Write a Message for your collaborator.
If the collaborator is not a pre-existing Wave user, they simply enter their email address and a password. Then, they will need to select a personal currency. This is because your collaborator will now have their own Wave account, which includes a personal profile.
If the collaborator is a current Wave user, they will need to click the Sign in now! link at the bottom of the page.
On your collaborator page, you will now see the pending invitations. The person you invited will receive an email inviting them to collaborate.
How to edit or cancel Collaborator access:
If you would like to terminate your Collaborator's access, go to the same Collaborators page and click on the trash icon beside the collaborator name. You will be asked to confirm the deletion of this Collaborator.