Wave makes it easy to let other people help with your accounting. You can grant access to a trusted individual — an accountant, bookkeeper, tax preparer or business partner, for example — by inviting that person to be a collaborator.
This article is about how to add a partner to work on your accounting profiles. If you are looking for payroll, see: How to invite a collaborator for payroll.
You add a collaborator separately for your business finances and your personal finances.
- A collaborator on your business will not see your personal finances
- A collaborator on personal finances will not see your business finances
- If you want someone to collaborate on BOTH personal and business, you must grant them access twice (once for each profile)
- If you run multiple businesses in Wave, each one is controlled separately. If you'd like someone (an accountant, for example) to have access to more than one business, you will need to invite them separately for each business.
Here's how to add a collaborator to your business finances:
- On the Business tab, click Settings at the bottom left of any screen.
- Click on Collaborators under General.
Click on the Add a collaborator button on the right.
Fill in your Collaborator's First Name and Last Name.
Fill in his/her Email address.
Choose how much access you want to give your collaborator.
- View and edit: If you want your collaborator to be able to add, delete, and change information. They will have access to your entire account (transactions, invoices, reports, etc) except for your banking information, integrations, credit card payments feature, business data export function, and business information (basically, anything under the 'Account' option at the top right of the page).
- View only. This is if you want your collaborator to only be able to see your information without the ability to edit. They will have access to all pages in your Wave account except your banking information, integrations, credit card payments feature, business data export function, and business information.
Note: Remember, you are granting access to sensitive information, including a history of all your bank and credit card transactions. However, your online banking passwords will NOT be available to the collaborator, since this is saved separately from your accounting information.
Write a Message for your collaborator.
On your collaborator page, you will now see the pending invitations. The person you invited will receive an email inviting them to collaborate.
If the collaborator is not a pre-existing Wave user, they simply enter their email address and a password. Then, they will need to select a personal currency. This is because your collaborator will now have their own Wave account, which includes a personal profile.
If the collaborator is a current Wave user, they will need to click the Sign in now! link at the bottom of the page.
To add a Collaborator to your personal finances the steps are the same as above, except you start on your Personal tab.
How to edit or cancel Collaborator access:
If you would like to terminate your Collaborator's access, go to the same Collaborators page and click on the x icon beside the collaborator name. You will be asked to confirm the deletion of this Collaborator.