There's a number of reasons your transactions might be duplicating in Wave. This article goes over the types of duplicates, why they happen, and what to do about it.
If your bank account is linked to Wave for importing transactions and you're seeing duplicates, this is for one of two reasons:
- If you disconnected and reconnected your account, and/or uploaded statements and then connected your account, there may simply be overlap of transactions coming in twice. Please follow the steps below to deal with the duplicates.
- If you've taken no action on your bank connection and it seems to be just importing duplicates arbitrarily, you can follow the steps below to get rid of the duplicates. It's likely that the transaction ID (a back end identifier) is changing, even though the date, amount, and description (front end identifiers) are the same. The result is that the system perceives these to be different transactions because the ID is different, and so imports the same transaction multiple times.
Whether your bank import is duplicating transactions on its own or there was an import overlap, the duplicates themselves will need to be manually addressed from the user end of things. This is because once duplicates are in your account, our Support team can't undo this from the back end - they must be manually merged or deleted by you.
To get rid of the duplicates, you can merge them. To merge, click the check boxes to the left of a set of duplicates. Then, at the top of the transaction table, click 'Merge'. Repeat for all duplicate sets.
Alternatively, you can delete the duplicates. To delete, click the check boxes next to all of the transactions you want to remove, and then click 'Delete'.
Bank Imports & Wave Payments
If you have the same bank account linked to Wave (or are uploading bank statements) in which your Wave Payments deposits are made, then you may see duplicate transactions.
- As soon as your customer makes a payment, the transaction record for this is created in Wave
- When the payment is deposited in your bank, the transaction is once again imported into Wave.
Ideally, your import will work with our automated bookkeeping for Payments, but if not, you can follow these next steps to get your transactions organized, and keep your income from appearing to be doubled.
All you'd need to do is categorize your bank import transaction as 'Transfer from a Bank, Credit Card, or Loan', then choose Payments by Wave. This will cause the income transaction in your Payments by Wave account to transfer/move to your bank account, thus causing your income to only appear once!
Bank Imports & Manually Recorded Invoice Payments
If you have your bank account linked (or are uploading bank statements) to Wave and are also recording payments on Invoices manually in Wave (Sales > Invoices > click the arrow to the right of the invoice > Record a Payment) on the same bank account, then this will cause duplicate transactions.
All you'd need to do in this case is either not create the manual transactions, and instead wait for your bank to import them in future, categorize the imported transactions to Payment Received for an Invoice in Wave, then choose the outstanding invoice, or -
- you can delete the transactions once your bank imports them. To delete, click the check boxes next to all of the transactions you want to remove, and then click 'Delete'. Then, you'd continue marking invoices as paid from Sales > Invoices.
Bank Imports & Receipts
If you have your bank account linked (or are uploading bank statements) to Wave, you can locate the transaction and attach a receipt directly to it.
If your workflow is to upload receipts immediately after purchases (before the transaction is imported through a bank connection or statement upload), you can log in to Wave and manually create a transaction to then attach the receipt. Using this workflow will result in a duplicate transaction when the same transaction is imported through a bank connection or statement upload. To resolve this, you would merge the duplicates. To merge, click the check boxes to the left of a set of duplicates. Then, at the top of the transaction table, click 'Merge'.
Bank Imports & Bills
If you have your bank account linked (or are uploading bank statements) to Wave and are also manually recording payments on Bills, this will cause duplicate transactions. Essentially, the system is designed to work even without bank imports, so when you use Bills and imports, it can end up working "too well".
If you prefer to manually mark Bills as paid, you can delete the bank import every time it comes in.
If you prefer to keep your bank import transactions, you can refrain from marking the Bill as paid until your bank import transaction comes in. Then, once imported, you can categorize the transaction to 'Payment Sent for a Bill in Wave', then, choose the relevant outstanding bill.