Follow these steps to issue a full or partial refund for an invoice to your customer:
- Click Sales & Payments > Payments in the left-hand navigation menu.
- Locate and click on the invoice payment you want to refund to your customer.
- Click the Refund button and a refund pop-up will open.
- Issue a partial refund by clicking Edit amount, then enter the amount to refund and click Save. If you’re refunding the whole amount, you can move to the next step.
- Select a reason for issuing the refund, add any notes you would like in the field provided, and click Refund. The payment amount including the transaction fee will be refunded to the customer.
After you issue the refund, let your customer know they will see the refund on their credit card in 3-5 business days or in their bank account within 5-10 business days.
You can only refund your customer if the payment was made in the last 90 days. If the payment was made over 90 days ago, open Mave, Wave’s automated chatbot, and type issue refund, then select Refund for invoice paid via Wave Payments. Mave will help collect any relevant details and direct you to the appropriate support. Learn how to open Mave in Get support with Wave.
The refunded invoice will now show as overdue in the Sales & Payments > Invoices area. Learn how to write off an invoice if you aren’t expecting another payment from your customer.
You cannot process a refund to a transaction that has a chargeback associated to it.