Record a payment on an invoice in your web browser
If you import transactions into Wave through a bank connection or statement upload, you can categorize the payment transaction associated with the invoice to mark your invoice as paid.
Manually recording a payment on the invoice will create a duplicate transaction on the Transactions page. If you chose to do this, check to ensure the transactions were automatically merged. If not, you can manually merge the two transactions.
- Log in to your Wave account at waveapps.com.
- On the left navigation menu, click Sales & Payments > Invoices.
- Locate the invoice, and click on Record payment to the right of the invoice. If you don’t see the option, click the dropdown arrow to the right of the invoice, and select Record payment.
- Edit the date and amount if required.
- Select the Payment method or type of payment you received.
- Select the Payment account, the account where you received the payment.
To ensure accurate transaction records, you can no longer select Property, Plant and Equipment, Other Long-Term Liability, and Business Owner Contribution and Drawing accounts as a Payment Account for your invoices.
- Add any relevant notes in the Memo / notes field.
- Click Submit.
The invoice is marked as Paid. An income transaction is also created on the Transactions page, and the category field will show the invoice details.
Categorize a payment transaction associated with the invoice
- Log into your Wave account at waveapps.com.
- Click Accounting on the left navigation menu, and select Transactions.
- Locate the income transaction associated with the invoice.
- In the Category dropdown select Payment Received for an Invoice in Wave and select the appropriate invoice.
The invoice is marked as Paid.
Edit the payment on an invoice in your web browser
You can still edit the details of a payment after the invoice is marked as paid. To do so:
- Log into your Wave account at www.waveapps.com.
- Click Sales & Payments on the left navigation menu, then select Invoices.
- Click on the invoice to view it.
- Click Edit payment under the Get Paid section.
- Make the required changes, then click Submit.
The changes you make will automatically sync with the transaction on the Transactions page.
Alternatively, you can also edit the payment details by editing the transaction associated with the invoice payment:
- Click Accounting on the left navigation menu, then select Transactions.
- Locate the transaction, and edit the required fields. Or, click the dropdown arrow to the right of the transaction, and select Edit more details to edit any additional fields.
Changes you make to the payment details will also get updated on the invoice.
If the invoice was paid through Wave Payments, you cannot edit the payment details. This is to maintain an accurate record of payment transactions in Wave.
Record a payment on an invoice in the Wave mobile app
Categorizing a payment transaction associated with an invoice and editing the payment details of an invoice are only possible in the web version of Wave.
- Log in to your account on the Wave mobile app.
- Head to the Invoices tab.
- Open the invoice you want to record a payment on.
- Tap Apply payment.
- Select the method of payment.
- On the next page, enter the payment date, optional memo / notes and select a Payment account. Here you can also edit the payment amount by tapping on the Payment amount box.
- Tap Record $ as paid.