Wave makes creating and sending invoices to your customer easy. Here's how.
- Log in to your Wave account from waveapps.com.
- Click on Sales in the menu at the left of your screen, and select Invoices.
- Click Create an invoice.
- On the invoice, you can do the following:
- Enter an Invoice number.
For following invoices, the invoice number will automatically generate, in sequence. You have the option to type in a number of your choice as long as it has not been used for another invoice.
- Click Add a customer. Select a customer from the list, or click Create a new customer at the bottom of the dropdown menu.
- Choose a date for the invoice, a due date for payment, and a P.O. or S.O. (purchase order or shipping order).
- Enter an Invoice number.
- Add or edit the invoice title, subheading, and your business information by expanding the header at the top of the page. To expand, click on the dropdown arrow at the top right of the header.
If you choose to edit your business information here, the changes will apply to your business profile, and get saved under Manage your Profile > Businesses. Any change you make will also apply to all past invoices.
To add a DBA on an invoice, enter it in the subheading field, below the title. Or, include it in the Notes section of the invoice. To save a default subheading, customize your invoices.
- Add optional notes or terms of service under Notes / Terms at the bottom of the invoice.
- Add or edit the footer information by expanding the Footer section at the bottom of the page. If you have already set this when you customized your invoices, it will appear by default.
- Click Add an Item to add the product or service you are invoicing for. If you already have saved items under Sales > Products & Services, select them from the drop-down menu, or by typing in the item name. To create a new product or service, click Create a new item at the bottom of the drop-down menu.
Fill in the following fields for the product or service: Description (optional), Quantity, Price, and Tax. If you entered a price when you added this product, the Price field will be automatically filled, but this can be changed here if necessary.
- To add a discount to your invoice, click Add discount below the Subtotal field.
- Select a currency from the drop-down menu. It will default to the currency you have set for the customer you are invoicing.
To change the currency on an individual invoice, click the currency field beside the invoice total, and select a currency. To set a default currency for a customer, change this under Sales > Customers.
- Click Save and continue, or click Preview to preview the invoice before saving.
Clicking Save and continue will save the invoice as a draft, but will not make any changes to your accounting.
- Click Approve Draft once you are satisfied with the invoice. Approving the draft will allow you to send the invoice.
Since reporting in Wave defaults to accrual, when you’ve approved a draft invoice, the amount will reflect on your reports when viewing accrual basis reports.
The invoice will now appear on your Invoices page.
Once you’ve created an invoice, you can choose to skip sending it right away. When you’re ready to send it to your customer, navigate to Sales > Invoices, and click the Send button to the right of the invoice. Or, click on the invoice to open it, and click the Send invoice button.
A note on deleting data in Wave
If you delete something in Wave, you won’t be able to recover it. Because you own your financial information, if you delete it, you’re telling us you don’t want us to store it anymore. Anything you delete (invoices, bills, transactions etc) is gone forever once it’s deleted, and has to be recreated. This includes your entire Wave account.