Create an invoice in your web browser
- Log in to your Wave account from waveapps.com.
- On the left navigation menu, click Sales & Payments > Invoices.
- Click Create an invoice.
- On the invoice, you can do the following:
- Enter an Invoice number.
For following invoices, the invoice number will automatically generate, in sequence. You have the option to type in a number of your choice as long as it has not been used for another invoice.
- Click Add a customer. Select a customer from the list, or click Create a new customer at the bottom of the drop-down menu.
- Choose a date for the invoice, a due date for payment, and optionally enter a P.O. or S.O..
- Enter an Invoice number.
- Add or edit the invoice title, subheading, and your business information by clicking on the header to expand it.
If you choose to edit your business information here, the changes will apply to your business profile, and be saved under Manage your Profile > Businesses. Any change you make will also apply to all past invoices.
- Add optional notes or terms of service under Notes / Terms at the bottom of the invoice.
To add a DBA on an invoice, enter it in the subheading field, below the title. Or, include it in the Notes section of the invoice. To save a default subheading or note, customize your invoices.
- Add or edit the footer information by expanding the Footer section at the bottom of the page.
- Click Add an Item to add the product or service you are invoicing for. If you already have saved items, select them from the drop-down menu. You can type in the item name to search for it. To create a new product or service, click Create a new item at the bottom of the drop-down menu.
If you create an item through the invoice, the default Income account will be Sales. To choose a different account, click Edit income account and select from the list. Wave automatically tracks income from invoices under the income accounts you select for your products or services. Learn more in Understand automated bookkeeping for invoices.
- Fill in the following fields: Description (optional), Quantity, Price, and Tax. If you entered a price when you created this product, the Price field will be automatically filled, but this can be changed here.
- To add a discount to your invoice, click Add discount below the Subtotal field.
- If you are invoicing in a currency different to the one you have set as default for the customer, click the Currency field and select a currency from the drop-down menu.
To set a default currency for a customer, head to Sales & Payments > Customers.
- Click Save and continue, or click Preview to preview the invoice before saving.
Clicking Save and continue will save the invoice as a draft, but will not make any changes to your accounting.
- Click Approve Draft once you are satisfied with the invoice. Approving the draft will allow you to send the invoice.
The invoice will now appear on your Invoices page.
Once you’ve created an invoice, you can choose to skip sending it right away. When you’re ready to send it to your customer, navigate to Sales & Payments > Invoices, and click the Send button to the right of the invoice. Or, click on the invoice to open it, and click the Send invoice button.
Create an invoice in the Wave mobile app
- Log in to the Wave mobile app.
- Open Invoices from the bottom menu and tap the + button at the top right of your screen.
- Tap the field at the top to change the invoice title, invoice #, add a P.O./S.O. and a summary.
- Tap the Customer field and select a customer from the list. To add a new customer, tap the + symbol.
- Choose an invoice date by tapping the Invoice date box and selecting the date on the calendar.
- To add a payment due date, tap the Payment due box, and select from the list of options e.g. On receipt, Within fifteen days, Custom, etc.
- If you are invoicing in a currency different to the one you have set as default for the customer, tap the Currency field and select a currency from the list.
- Tap Add items to add a product or service to the invoice. If you have already created items, select the item from your list. You can edit the description, quantity, price & sales taxes here if you wish. Tap Add item to confirm. To create a new item, select the + icon, fill in the details, then tap Add new item.
If you create an item through the invoice, the default Income account will be Sales. To choose a different account, click on the Income account field and select from the list. Wave automatically tracks income from invoices under the income accounts you select for your products or services. Learn more in Understand automated bookkeeping for invoices.
- To add a discount, tap Add discount. Select whether it’s a percentage or fixed amount, enter the amount, then tap Add discount.
- Add Terms of Service / Notes or a Footer by tapping Add under Footer notes.
- Tap Save.